Instant messaging (IM)
In a working environment which involves huge volumes of email and numerous time-consuming phone calls, IM has become an indispensable technology for many organisations.
Increased collaboration brings success:
- Connecting individuals or groups in real time via IM enables your employees to participate and contribute as they wish, without being distracted from their current tasks. At the same time, misunderstandings in oral communication are also eliminated and the narrative can also be archived for future reference.
- Technology does not replace people, but instead adds further value to what they already achieve, by helping to extend their capabilities. For your workforce as a whole, it enables people to work together more effectively. Collaboration helps speed up decision-making and so dramatically enhances your business productivity.
- Enable your employees to easily set up conference calls, meetings, and to share documents and presentations – including with external parties, via web conferencing.
- Employees can message each other instantly, check the availability and contact information of a colleague in real time, plus via video conference ‘face to face’.
- UC makes conferencing a richer, more productive experience, as video and web conferencing can now be added to voice – and all of these services can be accessed from anywhere, not just an office location.
- The greatest benefit of video conferencing is the ability to communicate with people who are travelling, working remotely or working from home – without incurring travel expenses or other expenses associated with physical meetings. This enables your employees to keep in touch with their colleagues and to maintain social contacts, wherever they happen to be.
- Additionally, what might start as an audio conference can easily become a web conference if someone needs to share a document unexpectedly.
- Conference facilities are easy to set up and offer the host more options and visibility of other participants than ever before during a session.
- These multimedia conferencing solutions empower your teams to work together in new ways – leading to faster decision-making, stronger working relationships, increased cost control and improved productivity.
Presence and smart availability
- Today’s technology options give your employees the opportunity to communicate via mobile or fixed line devices, according to their situation. And with the addition of a unified communications system, they can also benefit from a common function – originally created as part of instant messaging technology, and known as ‘presence’.
- This shows the presence, or status, of other colleagues and clearly indicates whether they are available or not.
- Presence information is typically integrated directly into office applications and other programmes – which enables contact to be made via fixed line or mobile phone, IM or email from a single integrated interface, to or from various other devices.
- The ability to detect a colleague’s status – for example whether they are available, away from their desk, in a meeting or on the road is extremely valuable, as an appropriate method of contact can then be selected based on their circumstances. This ‘smart availability’ concept within UC can have a significant impact on the efficiency and productivity of your entire workforce.